According to Like a Mighty Army, written by Charles W. Conn, the first local Ohio Church of God congregation was established in 1917. The continuing years saw growth and new churches planted throughout the state until 1970. By decision of the International Executive Committee, Ohio was divided geographically into two separate regions along the 1-70 corridor cutting through Columbus, into Northern and Southern Ohio. The next 40 years saw explosive growth in church plants, finance, leadership development and expansion. During the period, the two regions grew from one state of 57 churches in one state to more than 240 in two states. Offices for Southern Ohio were located in Lebanon and a 100 acre youth camp site was purchased in later years. The offices for Northern Ohio were located in northwest Akron on property purchased during the Jimmy D. Smith administration.
By affirming the decision of both Northern and Southern Ohio’s ministers on March 27, 2010, the International Executive Committee decided to unite Ohio as one state once again. The merger envisions a more stable financial structure, increased leadership involvement and expanded fellowship.